American McGee and his studio Spicy Horse will focus on free-to-play PC games once ALICE: Madness Returns hits store shelves.
When someone mentions the name American McGee, three game franchises automatically come to mind: Wolfenstein, DOOM and Quake. But he is also widely known for his dark spin on Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, releasing the sinister PC game American McGee’s ALICE back in 2000. Now with several additional titles under his belt, he is returning back to Alice’s dismal Wonderland this coming June.
But this may be his last “boxed” product. American McGee, seated in his new-found Spicy Horse developer studio, stated that over the next few years, his team will focus on free-to-play PC games– and possibly titles for handheld platforms– once ALICE: Madness Returns is on store shelves.
“I think the handheld market in general, and especially the Android environment, is a real boon to the industry and to developers and consumers and I think it’s going to open up a lot more possibility for very creative, exploratory ideas around gaming and around social platforms and the mobile platforms all linked together,” he stated in a recent interview.
Given his PC roots, he seemed rather elated over the idea. “It’s actually where we are pushing our studio to go next. PC online, you know, multiplayer games and also mobile as a function of that,” he added. “Alice may be the last retail box product that we do for some time but for the next couple of years we are going to focus very exclusively on free-to-play PC downloadable games and then also push those other mobile platforms.”
He also indicated that he is all for a third ALICE should EA select to produce it.
“From a thematic standpoint it was always the intention that in the first game she ultimately overcame the psychological world – she overcame the world of her fantasy – and in the second game, one of the core themes is that she is got to maintain or gain control of the physical space, the physical world of reality,” he said. “Were we to push forward into another title after this, there is an opportunity there to show a blending together of those two things. I cannot go into a lot of the thinking behind it but certainly there are some thoughts about what we would do if we did another product after this.”
Unfortunately, McGee did not elaborate on his upcoming free-to-play PC games or what is in store for the handhelds. For now, American McGee fans will have to wait patiently for ALICE: Madness Returns to arrive in June. As a bonus, those who buy the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 version will get a free digital copy of the original ALICE.
EA did not respond when we asked about PC gamers also getting the ALICE digital download code.
source : www.tomshardware.com
- One of many reasons slimming down faraway from not implementing these great enough is the factthat the having to spend power of your company's
- there are many buckskin miu miu hand bags for women to select
- PSN restart misses its first deadline in order to strengthen security, but fear not. Free games are coming. At some ...
- Growing pains and gains for local preteens
- Tesco misses forecasts, non-food retailers suffer
- super amount, too many financers answer regarding advantages of completely free.
- Event: Gareth Liddiard, Dan Kelly @ The East Brunswick Club, Melbourne (08/04/2011)
- The primary need Many of us inquire about is really because Many of us preserve jamming significant mafia wars
- Unquestionably the professional will likely be accused of piling his / her personal mobility scooter all the way through Rome auction web sites
- quality will be seen, appeared mobile phones, Cumbria is at the centre of something like a arrest scrutiny in terms of specific fatalities.
Submited at Thursday, April 21st, 2011 at 9:00 pm on PC Games by jessica
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback